Giant Paper Flowers, The Start of Something Beautiful
My journey to making giant paper flowers is quite simple. I wanted something beautiful and dramatic to decorate our empty living room with. I have always been an artistic person, so when my Boyfriend and I moved into our new apartment, I got to work on crafting custom decor for it. Our new place is very modern, with neutral tones and beautiful 10-foot-high ceilings. However, this left our living room area feeling very naked and cold. I wanted to decorate with something cost effective, that would give the room a pop of color and fill the empty space. I considered traditional artwork above the television, but because we purchased such a monster sized tv, I didn’t want to add any more to that wall. Ultimately, I decided I needed something that was going to be able to go diagonally up the wall across the empty corner and not be directly above the television, and that I wanted whatever it was to be neutral beige and blue. I also decided that since I couldn’t find a floor lamp I liked, I wanted it to provide soft light to watch tv or play video games in. Lighted paper flowers were the perfect fit.
After watching a few basic tutorials, I started playing around with creating my own patterns. My first ones were the giant daisy’s with just simple rounded petals (top and bottom neutral colored). I used tissue paper for the center of these, but was not overall fond of the look. I experimented with petal designs from there, drawing them on scrap paper and cutting the final templates from manila folders (click here for tutorial). After a week of experimenting and hot gluing my fingers together, I ended up with this. I laid them out on the floor to figure out the general configuration I wanted, and mounted them to the wall using picture hooks. Leaves and sprigs were added once they were mounted so they fell exactly where I wanted them. I purchased 40-foot remote controlled LED fairy lights with changeable light levels from Amazon. These are plugged in behind our wine rack, and mounted up one of the rods using small dots of hot glue that can be removed if needed. The light wire is hidden behind the lowest leaf so the lighting hardware is not visible. I wove the wire around each flower, using the picture hook as a stabilizing anchor if needed. The lights are perfect in the evening time, we have them at 100% brightness when guests are over for a more dramatic display, and about 10-20% during movies and games to give just enough light to see with. Night time is when the true beauty of these flowers shine through. The lighting in them takes the whole thing to a new level.
I have received a lot of questions about keeping the flowers clean and dust free. Thanks to the card stock and cardboard bases, the flowers are relatively stable. I am able to give them a quick dusting down once a week with a microfiber cloth. If they ever need a deeper cleaning, they can be removed from the wall and sprayed off with a can of air. Overall, I am incredibly happy with how these turned out. They are very spectacular when you enter the apartment, provide the color pop I wanted, give the perfect amount of light for the area, and were very cost effective, coming in at just shy of $80 for all of the materials (on sale). I have received several requests to create more sets, and will be experimenting with other color palettes and patterns!